It can be difficult to find the right property to rent, especially when there are lots of other people looking at the same properties you are.
Here are some helpful hints which may be of assistance:
- Location – Is it an area you are familiar with? Where are the shops, buses, schools, parks, local walks? If you have kids old enough, can they get themselves to school easily?
- Security – Have a look at the security features of the property like deadlocks, window locks and gates. When you apply for Contents Insurance, your insurer will want to know these details.
- Cleanliness – Has the property been left in a clean manner? Some properties are leased the way that they are presented. This is an important question to ask the agent.
- Kitchen – Is the cooktop gas or electric? Is there a dishwasher? Is there enough storage space? Is there room on the benchtop for your appliances?
- Space - Does the property provide you with the space you require? Will all your furniture fit in the space available? Will your white goods fit? Sometimes it may help to measure the rooms to ensure you won’t have any issues when you’re moving in.
- Temperature – Is there heating or cooling available? Which rooms are affected? Does the property receive much natural light?
- Storage – Are there built in wardrobes or a linen cupboard? Where can I store bikes and other bits and pieces that are not being kept inside the property.
- Parking – Will you be able to park off the street in a garage, carport or parking space? If there is only street parking, does the council issue resident parking permits?